Ties Broken for NBA Draft 2014 Order of Selection
NEW YORK, April 18, 2014 – Four ties among teams that finished the 2013-14 NBA regular season with identical records were broken today through random drawings to help determine the order of selection for the 2014 NBA Draft, which will be held on Thursday, June 26.
The drawings were conducted earlier today in New York City by Jason Cahilly, NBA Chief Strategic and Financial Officer, and Dan Rube, NBA Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel. The tiebreak process was overseen by Darrington Hobson, a representative from the accounting firm of Ernst & Young.
The results of the drawings:
- Utah (25-57) won a tiebreaker with Boston.
- Brooklyn (44-38) won a tiebreaker with Washington.
- Chicago (48-34) won a tiebreaker with Toronto.
- Portland (54-28) won a tiebreaker with Miami and Houston; Houston then won a tie-breaker with Miami.
Attached is the order of selection for the 2014 NBA Draft, as well as the number of chances for teams in the 2014 NBA Draft Lottery, to be held on Tuesday, May 20.
2014 First Round Draft Choice Order
The teams entered in the lottery are as follows (note: the first three picks in the Draft will be determined by the lottery and the remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions 4 through 14 in inverse order of their consolidated standings at the end of the regular season):
|Lottery Pos.||Team||Record||# of Combos|
|6||LA Lakers||27-55 (.329)||63|
|8||Detroit (1)||29-53 (.354)||28|
|10||New Orleans (2)||34-48 (.415)||11|
|11||Denver (3)||36-46 (.439)||8|
|12||New York (To Denver or to Orlando via Denver)||37-45 (.451)||7|
|13||Minnesota (4)||40-42 (.488)||6|
The order for the remainder of the first round picks is as follows:
|16||Charlotte (To Chicago)||43-39 (.524)|
|17||Brooklyn (To Boston)||44-38 (.537)|
|18||Washington (To Phoenix)||44-38 (.537)|
|21||Dallas (To Oklahoma City via Houston and LA Lakers)||49-33 (.598)|
|23||Golden State (To Utah)||51-31 (.622)|
|24||Portland (To Charlotte)||54-28 (.659)|
|27||Indiana (To Phoenix)||56-26 (.683)|
|28||LA Clippers||57-25 (.695)|
|29||Oklahoma City||59-23 (.720)|
|30||San Antonio||62-20 (.756)|
- (1) This pick may be conveyed to Charlotte.
- (2) This pick may be conveyed to Philadelphia.
- (3) This pick may be conveyed to Orlando.
- (4) This pick may be conveyed to Phoenix.
2014 Second Round Draft Choice Order
- Orlando (To Cleveland)
- Boston (To Dallas) OR Utah
- Utah OR Boston (To Dallas)
- LA Lakers (To Milwaukee via Minnesota and Phoenix)
- Sacramento (To Toronto)
- Cleveland (To Philadelphia)
- New Orleans (To Minnesota)
- New York (To Houston)
- Brooklyn (To Philadelphia via Dallas and Boston)
- Toronto (To Milwaukee via Phoenix)
- Memphis (To Philadelphia via Cleveland)
- Golden State (To Minnesota)
- Houston (To Philadelphia via Milwaukee)
- Portland (To Denver)
- LA Clippers (To San Antonio via New Orleans)
- Oklahoma City (To Toronto via New York)
- San Antonio
*Please note that teams that finished the regular season with identical records will select in the second round in the reverse of the order in which they select in the first round, provided, that if more than two teams are tied, then, as among the tied teams, each tied team will select one position earlier than it selected in the first round, except that the tied team that selected earliest in the first round shall, among the tied teams, select latest in the second round. With respect to the tie between Boston and Utah (25 and 57; 0.305 pct.): since the order of selection in the first round for this set of teams may change based on the results of the Draft Lottery, the order of selection in the second round cannot be determined until after the Draft Lottery is conducted (on May 20, 2014).