|Sam's Hope's has been a partner with the Milwaukee Bucks for 16 years. The mission of this partnership is to encourage children in the inner city to read at home each day, to achieve in school and to provide new books for children to own through the 20 joint projects. Sam Garner was just 12 years old when he and his siblings founded Sam's Hope. You can email Sam's Hope at firstname.lastname@example.org|
Closing Season Events:
March 26thAnnual BUCKS BOOK BLAST at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. 1000 central city students in grades 1, 2 and 3 will join the entire team on the court to read "Dave the Potter" by Laban Hill.
By invite only event. Open to the Press. Contact Barbara Garner at email@example.com. Press 414-915-6789)
Thousand of new books will be donated to each child plus one book for them to "pay it forward" to another child, Bucks half time show and so much more. Activities begin at 11:45 am.
Open to the public and press.
2 PM at Barnes and Noble Bayshore book signing plus many surprises, activites, and raffle with BANGO and children's author Laban Hill.
(Contact Nicolette at 414-967-1610 for RESERVATIONS).
April 1st at Marquette Unversity Union ballroom.
8:30 AM until 1:30 PM
Closed event by invite only a day on the Marquette Campus with central city third graders by invite only. Literacy games and workshops, tour of special campus stops and a special visit from BANGO and author Laban Hill.
(Contact Barbara Garner, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Press contact 414-915-6789).
Sam’s Hope Literacy Foundation and the Milwaukee Bucks announce the following events and projects for 2013-2014 in celebration of our 16th season of partnership:
- DREAM BIG: Exploring the possibilities of career choices in the field of sports other an player options. Sam’s Hope/BUCKS also provided books, book bags, gel bands, bookmarks to celebrate this newest project.
- SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIRS benefiting Sam’s Hope to be distributed throughout Milwaukee area children. Sites will include: MSOE, YMCA site, Discovery World, on site at a BUCKS game at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, other TBD sites.
- OFFICAL SEASON OPENER EVENT at Milwaukee Art Museum. Launch of this year’s “THE DAVE PROJECT: A Legacy of Healthy Words”. NOVEMBER 18TH. 1000 Milwaukee school children will converge with the ENTIRE Milwaukee BUCKS basketball team and coaches for a day of exposure to the arts, reading time with the players, Q & A with the players in small groups, exploration of “healthy words” in each of the galleries, Unveiling of “starter” WORD CLOUD creation from player word donation, “touch time” with the reproduction of a gold glittered DAVE POT alongside one of the original DAVE POTS, distribution of 1000 books per school directly to the students to take home to own! This event is by school invite only for grades 1, 2 and 3..
- “Foster Cares” Event at Discovery World. An evening shared with Foster Care families in a free entrance to the Museum, reading with BANGO, free book bags and all the books that the bag can hold to go home with the children as their very own “travelling mini library”. Date: TBD. This event is by invite only.
- OPERATION BABY BOOK. Annual giving to be distributed through Kids Matter Inc. to social workers to be gifted to families upon the home visits for children ages new born to age 3.
- CITY YEAR VOLUNTEER PARTNERSHIP. Annual collaboration with City Year Corps Members to sort and bookplate 10,000 books to be distributed throughout Milwaukee to area children in need. Along with helping City Year with book donations for the children they serve.
- GLEN HILLS MIDDLE SCHOOL sorting partners. We also supply their classmates with African American biographies.
- HOLIDAY GIVING PROJECTS: Adoption of Milwaukee families for gifting of book bags filled with new books, games, BUCKS logo items and much more for each child in need. CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL book donations. SALVATION ARMY LODGE holiday gifts for families on site. HIPPY FAMILY HOLIDAY DONATION.
- SALVATION ARMY LODGE annual donations of new books for their guest families individuals, stocking of mini library we created jointly with the BUCKS, birthday book bags, entrance gifts for each family.
- EVENING SNUGGLE UP AND READ. 2013 SITE BURBANK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Februrary 2013. Player appearance, new books for each child, raffle logo items, Raffle this year based on “Dave the Potter” Initiative. Player reading and initeracting with all of the children.
- HEAD START BOOK DONATIONS FOR” BUCKS Bed Time Book Buddy Program”. Donation of monthly books for children to read at home with parents and “report” back to the teachers.
- BLACK KNOWLEDGE BOWL. Book giving prizes for the Bowl along with book bags, etc.
- JODY ALEXANDER BLACK HISTORY PROJECT. Books, bags, etc.
- TRAVELING DAVE THE POTTER REPRODUCTION POT to sites all over city.
- HIPPY giving. At home pre- school reading program to teach parents to be teachers in reading books to their children. Children ages 2 to 5 years. Gifting: a) Graduation of books for 5 year olds with book bags, plus more b). Summer reading books and bags to children ages 3 and 4. C). New support of expanded HIPPY programming to older students. D) Incentive book donations.
- MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY SLAM DUNK CAMPUS event. A day on the Marquette campus for 3rd graders. A full experience of the possibilities of college life. A). Tour of campus sites and interaction at each site for the “Dave Project”. Sites include campus theater, Haggerty Museum and campus library. B). Three workshops during the experience. One workshop with Laban Hill, author of “Dave the Potter”, one shop with Fonde Bridges, art educator funded by Chipstone Foundation.
- “THE DAVE PROJECT: a LEGACY OF HEALTHY WORDS school workshops and assembly visits. 30 sites in all. Plus screening of entries for initiative.
- Final visits to winning students at schools from players to celebrate the selected entries from the DAVE PROJECT Initiative.
- BUCKS BOOK BLAST annual event MARCH 26TH 2014. Culmination event for our season 16th of this year’s initiative 1000 students in grades 1, 2 3 converge on the court of the BMO Harris Bradley Center with the full team and coaches and 1000 students from Milwaukee area schools for receive free new books, player reading and conversation time, a book selection to “pay it forward” to another child and gifts from the team.
- A look at players consideration to paint for the Empty Bowls Project. Players will paint bowls to be donated at the annual EMPTY BOWLS Organization. Some of the special player bowls will be auctioned off at a BUCKS game